There are many methods to format your USB Flash Drives. Why many? Why don't we use a single method formatting? It is because sometimes single method isn't helpful. You need to check many methods for formatting your USB Flash Drive.Today, I am going to show you all of these methods. One of them is given below.
1. How do I format a USB Flash Drive using CMD?
Along with GUI, windows provide CLI/CMD system too through which you can do many things on a computer. It is used to execute entered command. Most of those commands are used to automate tasks via scripts and batch files, perform advanced administrative functions, and troubleshoot and solve certain kinds of Windows issues. i.e adding a new user, and formatting USB Flash Drive etc. Here I will show you that how to partition and format your USB Flash Drive through Command Prompt. Just follow my instructions given below.
01. Remove other USB Flash Drives if connected.
02. Plug in your USB Flash Drive (The one you want to format).
03. Open cmd: In windows, ten just Right Click on start and click on either Windows Powershell (Admin) or on Command Prompt as administrator.
A command prompt application will open.
04. Type "diskpart" and press Enter key. Wait for few seconds.
05. Type "list disk" and press Enter key. A list of disks will appear with size and status details.
06. Check the USB Flash Drive in the list and check its number. Usually, the number of disk starts from zero.
07. Type "Select disk #" and press Enter key. Note: instead of # type the number of USB Flash Drive.
08. Type "clean" and press Enter key. Wait for cleaning. Wait for a message "Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk"
09. Type "create partition primary" and press Enter key. Wait for a message "DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition"
10. Type "select partition 1" and press Enter key. A message "Partition 1 is now the selected partition" will appear.
11. Type "active" and press Enter key. A message "DiskPart marked the current partition as active." will appear.
12. Type "format fs=ntfs quick" to format for ntfs file system which supports copying of file larger than 4GB
12b. Type "format fs=fat32 quick" to format for fat32 file system which supports copying file lesser than 4GB.
Wait for formatting. A message "DiskPart successfully formatted the volume" will appear on completion.
13. Type "exit" and press Enter key. Again Type "exit" and press Enter key.
Done and enjoy....
Note: If there was an error in this procedure, then use another method mentioned below.
Other Methods For Formatting: